Sunday, July 5, 2009

A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes...


July 5th...

Today was part two of our weekend trip and we spent it at a traditional Korean folk village in Yong-in City. This village consisted of more than 260 houses from the digfferent regions and the living culture of the later Joseon Dynasty. We walked through numerous gardens and crop fields, as well as various workshops and commoners' houses. In addition to that we watched a traditional music and dance performance, an acrobatics and tightrope show, and a traditional wedding. I absolutely loved being able to witness traditional South Korean history. This was what I had envisioned I would learn about in coming to Korea, even though the city is very modernized now. My roommate is from Seoul, and she talked with me about her experiences visiting her grandparents in their traditional home when she was a child. She remembered it being very uncomfortable compared to what she was used to, and today's experience reminded her of that time in her life. And while her memory of living in the traditional homes were unpleasant, she appreciated acknowledging the roots of her culture.

There was also a giant mound of stones tied together by thick ropes, which was considered to be a place for prayers and wishes to come true. Tradition stands that if you write your wish on a piece of clothlike paper and tie it to the stones that it will come true. I happen to like making wishes...(I've made the exact same wish on every star, every 11:11, every lucky penny since I was a little girl)...so we'll see if this one makes it come true...
The only part about the trip that I can't honestly say I was excited about...was breakfast. The menu was fish soup, rice, kimchi, squid, radish, and seaweed. While I do appreciate the level of health consciousness in this country, I certainly would have loved a big stack of pancakes and syrup! :) Heck...just an apple would have been okay...is that too much to ask!? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment