Thursday, July 23, 2009

Satisfaction

July 23rd, 2009...

When I left for my trip this summer I made certain assumptions as to how I would feel coming back home. I presumed that while I would miss home, I wouldn't be eagerly awaiting my return. I knew that I would grow in many ways from my experience abroad. Every new day presents itself with the opportunity to grow and learn more about the world and yourself no matter where you're at in life. When we get into the habit of a routine we just have to make a greater effort sometimes to stretch our minds...as opposed to my travels this summer, which more clearly presents opportunities in which I may step out of my comfort zone whether I like it or not. So in this circumstance I have been forced to be uncomfortable; forced to challenge myself; forced to recognize another lifestyle besides what I have always known. There have been may occasions this summer in which I wished that I could be back in my normal routine. Sometimes I just wanted to go about my day without having to think about adapting to a new language or culture. Sometimes I just wanted to "be", but deep down I know that is not why I took this trip. I didn't spend nine months saving money and push back graduation a full year to just "be" and not challenge myself.

I know that it's important to step outside of our comfort zones and embrace something new. In this case I feel like I made the choice to step outside of my comfort zone when I stepped on the plane the first time. Once I got off that plane 2 1/2 months ago, I felt more like I was kicked out of that comfort zone. It was no longer a choice. Every direction I stepped in lead me to something entirely new and there was no turning back. Therefore, what's the point in even trying to step back? Have you ever tried walking up an escalator in the opposite direction it's going? It's like you are exerting yourself 100 times more to go against the flow, only to end up in the same place you started. I think that about that with life. There have been numerous times when I feel as though I have tried to go against what I know I am really mean to do and the direction I should follow; but when I stop and just accept my choices and decisions I am much more satisfied...and much less exhausted!

That is how I feel now...satisfied. Everything that has happened this summer and every opportunity I have taken to learn and grow has been worth the sacrifices I made to be here. This journey has far exceeded my expectations and I am so grateful to have had these opportunities. Tomorrow I will graduate from Hanyang University Summer School and say goodbye to a country that has welcomed me with open arms and a friendly smile. To my surprise, I feel that not only do I accept the fact that this journey is nearing its end, but I am excited to return back to my home and to the people I love. (After I visit Sydney of course!) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment