Saturday, July 11, 2009

Papparazzi Alert!

July 10th, 2009...

One thing I have come to realize even more here is the importance of both our verbal and nonverbal actions. Clearly I can't speak much of the language and therefore I have to communicate friendliness with my facial expressions. I've always believed in the power of a smile, and in South Korea I feel an even greater obligation and desire to smile at everyone I meet. Back home I blend in with my surroundings and I only represent myself. It's not the same here. I don't blend in and therefore people notice me differently than they do with the other locals. And because they notice me, they pay greater attention to my actions. Not only do I represent myself through my actions, but I represent my country. My interactions with others often directly influence their perceptions of the country in which I come from.

People in South Korea (especially the young crowd), highly look up to people from the USA and base their perceptions on what they see in movies. I am especially courteous around children, because they are easily fascinated when they see any of us from the States. I walked past a school bus full of young girls a couple of days ago and they were all yelling "hi" in English. When I smiled, waved, and said "hi" in return, they all screamed and giggled as though I were a celebrity. Today, four little girls approached me in the supermarket, asked me what my favorite color was, and had the adult with them take a picture of all of us together. I'm just a typical girl from Kansas and it was incredibly flattering to be noticed like that! It also just made me realize even further that I have a responsibility to portray myself and the USA in a kind and loving manner.

The excitement to see an American is not limited to small children either. This morning I went for a run along a nice path in which many older individuals were planting flowers. Nearly everyone I passed stopped and pointed at me. Literally, everyone, and there were a lot of people. I wasn't offended by any means, but after about 10 minutes I turned around and headed back. It was just a little more than I felt comfortable with. My roommate explained to me that the elderly population has the least amount of experience being around foreigners and are therefore more startled at times than the younger generation.

Okay, last story I promise....two days ago I went for a run around the campus and I decided to do hill repeats up this really steep incline. There was a middle-aged woman who came walking up the stairs adjacent to the hill. Just as I was getting ready to begin my 3rd repeat, she stopped and pointed her camera in my direction. I waited because I assumed she was taking a picture of something around me and I didn't want to get in the way of her photo. But she just sort of stood there, so I started to run again and then she snapped a photo. I wondered in my head if she was taking a picture of me, but I naturally assumed that she didn't. Once I reached the top of the hill I turned back around and jogged down, when she took another photo! This pattern continued through my 8th repeat, before she reached the top of the stairs and walked away.

I think I'm beginning to realize that while I think I'm representing myself as a kind and friendly person by smiling at everyone as I walk/run past them....in all actuality, they probably just think I'm a nut! I suppose I'll never know... :)

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so here is the question: Do these people carry cameras ALL the time? Who does that in their own daily enviroment?!

    ReplyDelete