Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Finnish "Candy"?

Wednesday, May 27...

3:15pm...

I have something very important on my mind, and it is a very serious matter. I have a problem with something here in Finland. The candy. To me it seems very simple...if you prolaim something to be candy...it should be sweet. Sweet...this can include SO many various options of flavoring...fruity, chocolatey, sugary...I am not one to be picky and I typically like everything I try. Well, things have changed! Typical Finnish candy is something such as Turkish Pebar or Selmiakki...both of which have the taste combination of black licorice, salt, and spice. There is nothing sweet about this so called "candy" and my taste buds are craving sugar!

Just the other day I was offered a lollipop called BonBon. Finally, something sugary! I was sitting in class, happily enjoying my wonderful treat. I have the habit of crunching my candy, and so I bit into this lollipop. I immediately regretted that decision. Inside this "candy", was something salty, spicy, and utterly icky.

I am a trooper though, and I am going to keep my hopes high in finding a candy here worth bragging about. And for everyone back home, I have bags full of Turkish Pebar and Selmiakki for you to enjoy =)

2 comments:

  1. I give you my full permission and blessing to tear into the German Chocolate you bought for me and Kendall. After all, a woman has to have her chocolate fixes. As for us we have all the access in the world to Dove Chocolate at Target! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, I wouldnt dare! Actually I am bringing you home some Finnish chocolate as well (I like to compare!), and its pretty tasty. The label is called Fazer. I had to be careful in buying it though, because they also have Salmiakki flavored chocolate. It's hidden everywhere!

    ReplyDelete