Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sausages!



May 20th...

There is certainly a part of me that is beginning to adapt in Jyvaskyla, and that would be the part of my brain that is finally allowing me to sleep at night! The sun still shines at 2:30am, but it doesn't control me anymore! Oh no...I recognize it's arrival, and dismiss it until I choose to wake up!

Last night I attended a bonfire and I learned that it is not appropriate to place the food, sausage, into one solitary category. Oh no - big mistake, especially in the company of both Finns and Germans. Apparently, Finnish sausage is "a bit lighter" and German sausage "tastes more like meat". Considering the fact that my diet consists mostly of "rabbit food", yogurt, and cookie dough, my palette fails to differentiate among the sausages. What I can tell you as an amateur sausage eater, is that both of them are fundamentally wrong. The reason being is that they are served without buns. Honestly folks, hot dogs in a paper towel? You must be joking! :) Although I must say that to my "rabbit-food-eating" surprise, they were quite delicious.

We also played a game called Molkky, which is similar to bowling, except you play outside with wooden pegs, in teams of three. I will begin by saying that while my team did lose, I think we had the most fun. Maybe this is in part to the fact that none of us had many skills in the peg-throwing department. I personally just have poor aim; and Ramon, my Russian partner, threw the peg like he was throwing a spear trying to capture a wild animal. It may not have been the most successful approach, but certainly the most entertaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment