Sunday, May 31, 2009

Soaking Up the Sun!

May 31st...

9:30pm...

(After I won a game of Molkky)

(A group of us posing with the game)

I can't believe it's already been over two weeks since I left the great United States of America. In so many ways I still feel as though I'm a simple car ride away from home, not a 12-hour plane ride. I think part of that reason is because many people here speak English if they realize that you do. That shocked me a little, as I expected it to be much harder to adjust to the Finnish way of life. Thankfully I arrived here during the best part of their year, the summertime. They go through such a harsh winter, and therefore they soak up every moment of the sunshine they get for these few months. And since the sun barely seems to set for just a few hours each day, I feel as though I have so many hours to just get out and enjoy the nature. Take today for example...I woke up this morning and walked for an hour to get to church (I got lost...), then myself and a few others got lunch and took it to Lake Viitaniemi, and just relaxed and played Molkky all afternoon. The day today was just beautiful! Hot even! (Not compared to Pittsburg, but still it was enough for a good sunburn!) I wish I would have remembered sunscreen... and aloe vera...

(Lake Viitaniemi)
I'm learning so much about the culture and the nature of the people, just through everyday interactions. After taking my Finnish Language class I am beginning to pick up a few words and phrases here and there too! I got so excited the other day when I heard a man tell his child, "yksi", meaning the number "one", when the little boy went to get a candy bar at the supermarket. Also, two days ago I gave a man directions in Finnish! Granted, I have no idea if I gave him the right directions or not...I never did see him again...but I'm going to think optimistically about my skills in saying "two blocks take left, and right, one block straight ahead". :)

I know that this is just the beginning of my challenge in having to adapt. Finland, while it does have a separate language and way of life, is still European and therefore something I can find ways with which to identify. South Korea will be another story, and I think I'll have to stretch myself a lot further to adapt there. It will be a completely new sight and situation; a challenge that I will welcome in a few weeks. Until then, I still have plenty of Jyvaskyla to soak up! I'm taking a new class tomorrow: Health Behavior Among School-Aged Children, and I'm really looking forward to it. Cheers to a brand new day! Or better yet, Kiipis! ("cheers" in Finnish)

No comments:

Post a Comment