Monday, June 1, 2009

Simply Smile


June 1st...

11:55pm...

I was just getting ready to write an email to one of my professors at PSU, reflecting upon a conversation we had prior to my departure. We were discussing our perceptions of Finnish culture, and how my way of life my be misperceived while I am here. For instance, maybe the fact that I smile a lot at everyone will come across as though I'm a bit loony or a "floozy" in her words, because in Finland people don't just smile randomly at others. In my world, you smile at everyone, no exceptions. After all, "a smile is the universal language of kindness" (Aesop).

It has proven true that the Finns really do keep to themselves. Small talk is certainly not part of their daily agenda; especially small talk with overly-eager redheaded American girls that talk too much. In some ways it's actually kind of nice. For instance, I fit in really well at the supermarket. Walking through the checkout line I simply say, "hei", "kylla" (yes), and "kiitos" (thank you), and leave the store. That is all they expect, and therefore it wouldn't be recognized that I'm not actually Finnish. Now back home, going through the checkout involves a good amount of conversation with the cashiers. I typically ask how their day is going, or make comments about the weather, or anything else that may come to my mind to provide a bit of cheer. (I worked at McDonald's for 3 years and I understand how it can be working in customer service...I always appreciated an overly-kind customer!) I can't imagine just walking through the line at Walmart and simply saying "Hi" and "Thank you" with a simple, polite smile on my face. I shop there quite frequently and by now I'm pretty sure the cashiers would think something was wrong if I just walked through their line and simply greeted them.

This is not to say the Finnish way is "bad" or "wrong". I don't believe that at all. It is simply a different culture. One Finnish girl here said it is common for Finns to be stereotyped as robots; just going through the motions of the day without really acknowledging anyone else. At first, I'll admit, I somewhat agreed with that stereotype. I thought it was a bit egocentric to just be in your own world. I came to realize however, that in the same manner, Finns often perceive Americans to be superficial because we talk too much. In their minds it is better to only say what is necessary, but yet mean what you say. The fact of the matter is, we all have stereotypes and misconceptions about people and cultures we don't know. The only way to break down those stereotypes is to really try and see life from another point of view. The challenge is that the point of view you are trying to grasp may completely differ from your own. Sometimes I wonder how possible it really is when we are all so unique and have such strong values of our own. Maybe sometimes it doesn't work. Maybe sometimes we will fail. At the end of the journey however, I think the most important thing is that we step out of our comfort zones and try.

No comments:

Post a Comment