Sunday, June 21, 2009

Parting Thoughts for Jyvaskyla

June 13th...

11:00am... It's hard to believe that the first part of my study abroad adventure has come to a close. This morning I packed my bags and said my goodbyes to the city of Jyvaskyla and all the people in it. I began to feel the effects of closure last weekend when many of the international students returned to their homes. Coming into this experience, I really had no idea what to expect. I had no idea what it would be like to adapt to a new culture. I anticipated challenges with the language and with the Finnish way of life, which seemed very different from my own. I expected that when I would be leaving Finland, I would mostly be reflecting on what I learned about Finland, such as the customs, traditions, and parts of the language. Now that I am actually at the time for reflection, I find that what occupies my mind the most is the people I was able to share this experience with. It makes me think of the song lyrics by Dave Matthews Band in "The Best of What's Around", which state: "It turns out not where, but who you're with that really matter". More than ever I realize the importance of that statement. My time here in Jyvaskyla would not have been nearly as captivating if I wouldn't have formed such great relationships with the group of people that were here with me. In the same respect, I know I wouldn't be having such a great time if I didn't have my family back home to support me. I think that a little heartache in saying goodbyes is a good sign that you did something right. In just a short period of time I was able to form real connections with people who have lived their lives so differently from me. While we may be from many various countries around the world, we were all ultimately looking for the same thing: a means of comfortability and people that make you feel at home. Four weeks later I am confident to say that the majority of us found that comfortability within each other. I found people that I could share my feelings with, try new things with, and laugh with hysterically. I feel so lucky to have been a part of such a compelling group of people.

Another thing I'm beginning to realize even more is just how we never know when or how God will use people to work in our lives. I could very well see any of these people at another time in my life, maybe even months or years from now. So rather than saying goodbye, I will say "Nahdaan!", meaning "See ya!". And to any of my new summer school friends, if you ever visit the States, I have a couch and some homemade cookies to share with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment