Sunday, June 21, 2009

Ireland Is So GREEN!!

June 18th...

Today was perfect! We went on the Wild Wicklow Tour, which took us from Dublin through Wicklow County where we visited so many beautiful places! We made our first stop at Dun Laoghire harbour and walked along the sandy beaches. I collected a few seashells to bring home to my mom, but it's highly likely that they will be confiscated when I arrive to Australia. Apparently they are very particular about bio hazardous material entering their country...but that's definitely not going to stop me from trying!
(Photo from Dun Laoghire Harbour)

Then we drove out to the countryside, which was even better than I expected! Wow - it was so green! It was absolutely breathtaking!! I have never seen anything like it! The pictures I show you won't even do it justice, but it can give a glimpse into the extraordinary nature I was a part of for a few moments. The bus stopped high up on the hills and the air was so crisp...and windy! I chose probably THE worst outfit to wear today, which was a very flowy skirt. I had a heck of a time keeping it from flying over my head, and surprisingly enough, with Tracey's help I was successful at doing so the entire day! Then as we stepped back onto the bus, the driver gave us all a shot of Jameson's Irish Whiskey - the best whiskey in all of Ireland. Personally I detest the taste of any and all whiskey, but as disgusting as it was, I can understand its charm...although I never intend on drinking it again. Sorry again Ireland...we're 0-2 on the alcohol.

After we were "liquored up", we moved on to Killiney and explored more beautiful countryside. The grass was just so short and so soft. I just laid down and thanked God for the beautiful nature and the fact that I am able to experience it. Lastly, we made our final stop to Glendalough, which was what I was really excited to see. It is famous for its 6th century monastery and old Celtic cross tombstones. Standing on that ground was so peaceful. I felt like I was just in a dream...you know that feeling when you see something for the first time...something that you though you would only see in pictures? And how amazing and invigorating it is to actually see it with your very own eyes? That's how I have felt every moment of this trip. I feel as though at any moment I am going to wake up and this will all have been a dream. But it isn't. Believe me, I've pinched my arm a few times and the result is the same...I really am here, and I'm so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment