Saturday, June 6, 2009

Thankfulness

June 6th...

9:20pm...

It's been exactly 65 years since 160,000 Allied troops landed in Normandy and cracked Nazi Germany's hold on Western Europe. I've always had an interest in knowing the history and cultural development of our nation, and today I feel even more proud to be a citizen of the United States of America. I have a unique feeling of pride and responsibility on the anniversary of D-Day this year. Today was honestly the first day that I truly realized I am not living in the USA. I looked out my kitchen window and saw five of Finland's flags. I've been living in Jyvaskyla for over three weeks now, and today was the first time I saw a flag. This was a unique experience, because back home we have flags posted everywhere. We're all about proclaiming the stars and stripes. Looking out my window and seeing a white flag with blue stripes forced me to pause for a brief moment to grasp exactly where I am. Even though I may be physically separated from my home, I feel an even greater sense of belongingness to the USA than I have had previously. It makes me feel so proud that I am affiliated with people who served our country back in WWII. It is their valor, fidelity, and selflessness that has provided significant contributions to the freedom with which I am granted. Living in Finland and meeting people from all over the world has caused me to take a step back and look at my nationality from a new perspective. It's easy to take for granted what you have known to be true your whole life. In the 24 years that I've been a part of this world, I have only known one nation of freedom. And while there are always going to be facets of our country that are changing and developing in ways that I like and dislike, I will never cease in being loyal. It will always be a place I honor and defend. I'm glad to be living abroad this summer, because it challenges me to better my own knowledge and understanding of the nation I call home.

1 comment:

  1. BRAVO and beautifully written. God Bless America...still.

    ReplyDelete