Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Good Crack!



June 19th...


Today is our last day in Ireland. I cannot believe how fast it has gone and how much we have been able to do and see. Today we took the DART rail along the northern part of the coast and visited the Malahide Castle and the Howth Peninsula. Yesterday we mostly enjoyed all the beautiful green scenery of the country, which I was completely amazed with. But of course Ireland has so much beauty still left to offer! We took a hike right along the cliffs of the peninsula. The cliffs were still many beautiful shades of green, except this time it was in contrast with the blue color of the water. I could not ask for more...except to have my family with me. There have been so many times I have really wished that you all could experience just what I am experiencing. I know how much you would love it. If I could transport you all here beside me then I would do it in a heartbeat! Maybe the leprechauns can.... :) This is a trip that we have all talked about as far back as I can remember, and it just blows my mind that this dream has come true. There are so many moments when I thought about how much my dad would especially love to be here, because of the history. Walking through Killmanhaim Gaol, standing at the GPO or The Gresham, and doing research in the National Library are things I know he would love. I think about how much everyone would love the gorgeous countryside, the beautiful wild flowers, or even simply the cobblestone streets, the Georgian homes, or some traditional Irish music in a local pub. Everyone here is just s proud of their heritage and they all have a different story to tell. Each one of them, when they realized that I had Irish ancestry, said to me, "Welcome home". That's exactly what I have felt this entire trip. Home. God bless it. It's been a good "crack"! (Translation...good time)

No comments:

Post a Comment