Sunday, May 24, 2009

Italian Delicacy in Finland


May 24th...

9:30pm...

I'm discovering that the weather here fluctuates even more than Kansas. Prior to leaving for church at 11:15 this morning, it was beautiful...very warm even...so I run up to my 7th floor room and put my jacket away so I wouldn't have to carry it around town. Oh silly me! Midway through the church service at around 12:30, it poured rain! At around 1:00, it was beautiful and sunny...by 1:15, it poured rain again! There's no place like home...there's no place like home... :) Thankfully Natalia, a very sweet Polish girl, lent me her extra jacket to keep this poorly-prepared Kansas girl warm.

I went to church at Katolinen Kirkko, a small but quaint Catholic church near the downtown of Jyvaskyla, with two girls: Natalia, whom I just mentioned, and Monica from Mexico. There are four well-known churches in Jyvaskyla of four separate denominations, and Natalia happened to find the only one that has a service in English. It was a very comfortable feeling to sing along to the same hymns that I am familiar with, yet with people from many different countries. The priest was Finnish, the musicians were from Sweden and USA, and the lectors were from Africa and Germany. After the mass we were invited for kahvi (coffee) and desserts (who can say no to that?). They were celebrating a farewell for one of the regular participants from Italy, and we were all able to try an authentic Italian dessert - Panacotta. Oh dear...it was delicious! It certainly put all of my desserts to shame! I am thinking that I should vacate to Italy now to improve my baking skills...any takers? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment