Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Power of Music

May 21st...

4:00pm...
For class, my group that I mentioned before: Ewald, Beer, and myself, are instructed to do a project entitled "Empowering Photograph". This is a project created by Miina Savolainen, a social worker who spent time with female foster children. She wanted to take a positive approach with these girls, rather than focusing on their problems. She created this project so that these girls could individually decide how they wanted to be depicted in life; how do they want to be seen by others? To do so, the person in front of the camera is the one directing the image, rather than the person behind the camera. In this manner, the person being photographed may view themselves on the outside the way they want to view themselves on the inside.

Our goal was to find a similarity among the three of us and use photographs to communicate that similarity to others. We bounced many ideas off one another, and through self-disclosure, realized that a general passion and means of escape for all of us is music; only the manner in which we rely on music is different. For Beer, he prefers to create music with his guitar...for Ewald, he would love music to be in the background whether he is working or relaxing, and for me...my musical escape is while I'm running in the trails. When I am running in the woods...all I see is nature, and I can choose any melody to listen to that may direct my thoughts.

"Music brings people together.

It allows us to experience the same emotions.

People everywhere are the same in heart and spirit.
No matter what language we speak; what color we are; the form of our politics;

the expression of our love and our faith, music proves:

We are the same."

-John Denver

No comments:

Post a Comment