Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Uniqueness in Culture


May 20th...

My inital expectation of traveling to Finland was that I would be forced to adapt to Finnish culture. I am beginning to realize now that what I am adapting to is the International Group that I am surrounded by. The social program that has been established for us to get to know one another, is also designed so that we can experience authentic Finnish traditions. Yet, we are all basing our experiences on one another. With that in mind, my priorities here in Finland are being a bit altered, yet in a good way. With that in mind, my opportunities for personal growth are magnifying as well. The course I am currently taking has been fundamental to this change process, as it serves as a catalyst for the social networks that have developed. The group's ethnic dynamic is comprised of individuals from Poland, Mexico, Russia, Finland, Canada, Austria, Estonia, Thailand, Hong Kong, and USA. We all come from various cultural and ethnic backgrounds and bring unique experiences with us, yet we have so much in common. I am also beginning to recognize an even greater importance of the relationships in our lives. The way I felt in Finland a few days ago is completely different than I feel now, due to the relationships I have formed. I can only imagine how not only these relationships here, but the relationships I have at home can develop because of this experience!

1 comment:

  1. I think that is terrific that you get to mix and experience so many cultures. What an incredible way to spend a summer. It has got to be amazing to step inside the shoes of others who go to different countries. It is not often in life we can do that and then walk that mile! :)

    ReplyDelete