Monday, May 18, 2009

Polissi, Polissi!



Sunday, May 17

9:10pm...
Tonight I got a glimpse of authentic Finnish culture. The most popular sport second to ice hockey, is what all Finns call "the real football, where you move the ball with your feet", otherwise known as soccer. Jyvaskyla was playing their rival, Helsinki. (Similar to a Colgan vs. Frontenac showdown). About 10 minutes into the game, a fight broke out and the "polissi" had to come in and break it up. I ever so casually snapped a photo of course. I also met some of Johannes' friends and we walked around the downtown together and sat by the Town Church - which I discovered that most Finns only frequent about twice per year, on...you guessed it...Christmas and Easter. I may pop in on Sunday and give it a go!

What I love most about this city so far is the nature. Jyvaskyla is 90% forests and is home to many many beautiful lakes. 190,000 lakes altogether in Finland. The route we traveled towards the "football" field was encompassed by two beautiful trails, hidden under a canopy of trees. (Jason - it reminded me of the Boy Hits Car story I wrote to you). Even though it was 9:30pm, the sun was shining through the trees. It was beautiful. Oh yeah, and everyone here either walks or bikes everywhere! I love that!

I went grocery shopping today - and had a blast! I think I bought some kind of cereal, yogurt from a giant milk carton, and the ever-popular rye bread. Sanna, my tutor, also recommended a kind of chocolate that is traditional to Finland...and twisted my arm into buying some of that as well. It's not bad, not quite decadent, but surely satisfies this chocolate lover's cravings. While I was in Germany I came across some of their "fine chocolatiers" and decided that I would pick some up from the airport during my layover to Seoul. Mom and Kelly : no worries, I will bring some for you too!

11:30pm...
Snafoo #2! Already! Well, I'm writing near my bedroom window, mostly in the dark, because a fuse burned out and I have no electricity! Fabulous! And because I decided to spend my whole day walking around and going to the game, I didn't even unpack, shower, or make my bedding. This may be an interesting adventure in the dark. Although, I really only have to wait 3 hours, because the gosh darned sun will be shining at 2:30AM. I just hope I am able to wake for class tomorrow without an alarm clock...we shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment