Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Little Time, Please...


May 19th...

I'm beginning to slightly feel some effects of being foreign in a new country...and maybe as though sometimes I get in the way. For instance, I was in line to get a cup of coffee this morning - a very routine procedure for most people - and it seemed to take me so long to go through the process. I didn't know which coin was what when I attempted to pay, I held up the line, and the man next to me had his money out, clearly ready for me to move on so he could pay and continue in his routine for the day. It made me think about those times when I am at home going through my daily routine, and how whenever someone or something disturbs my routine, I notice him/her/it. Sometimes I even get frustrated, although I try not to show it. Today I put myself back in the position of being at home and remembering a typical situation in which someone in front of me moved at a much slower pace than most others. Today, I got the experience of being on the other side. I was the one interrupting someone else's routine. Yet there was nothing I could do to speed up the process. Eventually, I will learn the routine and adapt to their way of life, just as those who live in my hometown will do. We all adapt to new cultures if we are willing...but in the meantime, patience and tolerance is greatly appreciated :)

No comments:

Post a Comment